Sunday, January 29, 2012

Shrinky Dink Fun! Part one...

So, I've written this post a thousand times in my head but actually getting the time and energy to sit and do this is a whole 'nother story! It seems lately like I've had snippets of time...I can't seem to do a project start to finish....and so I leave off now to hopefully come back and finish this post later this afternoon.

Seriously?!   I started this post 6 hours ago! This is a small glimpse into my life as a juggling mom/wife/teacher/artist...


Wait, wasn't this supposed to be about Shrinky dinks? I guess in a way it is so far, my time comes in Shrinky dink minutes! Heehee....

some of my favorite markers that i 've been using for  the shirnky dinks
     




Okay, now...those of you who follow me on facebook and/or twitter know that I've been totally loving Shrinky dinks...you know, that stuff you played with as a kid?! You'd think since it's marketed towards children it'd be a no brainer. Not for this brilliant (insert sarcastic tone) crafter!  My obsession has also been a task in problem solving. I almost gave up because I was getting frustrated until I read a blog posting about shrink plastic and how you should "take notes."   I then thought about how I am constantly encouraging my daughter and students to make mistakes and learn from them. "Self", I said, " follow your own advice."   So, instead of just chucking the ones that didn't work into the garbage, I made a sketchbook page as a scientist would when doing experiments, writing what worked and what didn't.    I can now reference it as needed. I felt good about working through my frustrations and also, I made a fun sketchbook page!



I kept thinking about and looking at these barrettes my friend Kim made my daughter.  She has been making amazing barrettes for years with shrink plastic.

 Back in '08 I went to her house for a tutorial and had a blast but just never went forward with it...., probably because I had my son the summer of 2008 and that slightly impeeded my crafting time for a while. When I got into it again, my poor friend received countless texts from me with questions!

 I also started reading info about the process online and searching for examples on as well as on . Holy cow did I find amazing examples! Here are a few:





Unicorn Wrap Around Ring by Green Mot on Etsy


Strawberry Man Brooch by mini fan fan on etsy














Aren't they so inspiring!?

I had some visions and products in mind that I was excited to make...buttons, magnets, hair ties, ornaments....and I just kept writing down ideas! And I started making things, one after the other! (My husband walked in when I was using the kitchen toaster with a questioning face, when I told him I was making Shrinky dinks his response was, "why??!!". Really? Why not and oh my, how fun!! My daughter was super excited!)

My first attempts were not what I wanted...I learned numerous (some silly) things like, 1. Don't use the baking tray with the holes because it will affect the shape, 2. Don't use tin foil because the texture will rub off onto the Shrinky dinks, 3. What kinds of inks and pens work, 4. Which side to print on, 5. What glues work with what... And the lessons continued.


At this point I did start to question why I was doing all this and spending all this money on supplies...and yet, I couldn't stop. Some may say addicted, I say determined. I honestly would wake up thinking about making things with shrink plastic. (okay, I will admit at that point I did start to wonder about myself but I got past that!)




I have made some super fun things over the past couple of weeks. My favorites have been the following magnets,





The hair elastics,



                                       This pin:


and this, my new belt!

you know I'll be wearing this tomorrow!

Hope you've enjoyed reading my mind!

My next post will talk about the process of using the shrink plastic and the supplies that I use.

Really, thanks for reading this post, I had fun chatting at you! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, LOVE the shrinky dinks! I don't think I've seen one since I was about 6. The magnets turned out adorable. Hope to see them listed in your shop soon!

    ReplyDelete