Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Journals, Sketchbooks and Blank Books...don't be scared of them.

I figured I'd start with a crafty idea and one of my all time favorite things...my sketchbook.  Now you may be saying, but I'm not really an artist or I can't draw or I don't have time for a sketchbook....but don't stop reading.  You don't have to call it a sketchbook and you don't have to show it to anyone if you don't want to.

Any blank book will do but I find that the more beautiful the book the more likely I am to come back to it.  I approach this in two ways;  I purchase a plain ol' sketchbook and cover it with lovely papers (Paper Source   more on that store later!) or I buy handmade journals that are art in itself (check out Parkside Harmony on Etsy  i've bought a few of her books and they are incredible!  See red journal in next paragraph).
i covered this with paper source paper, printed my carvings and added "stuff" i had in my studio.

Once I have my book, I just start with a mark...or an idea....or glue an image in.  Personally, I don't like to draw on the first page, at least initially...i find it intimidating.  But that's the great thing, it's your sketchbook, you make the rules!  And it doesn't have to be for drawing only.  I write, draw and practice. I glue stuff...i Love gluing and taping things!  I adhere  tags, tickets, drawings, notes, magazine clippings, inspirations, quotes, etc...



And though you definitely do not have to,  I share my sketchbook.

Yes, I share my sketchbook...sort of.  I let my children draw in it and always date it when they do.  I know some day looking back on these will be even more of a treasure than it is today.


I also have sketchbook/journal that I share with one of my best friends.  The journal is an amazing gift each time it arrives in the mail.  See, we are separated by distance so we stay close through our journal.  We stated from the start that it was not a competition or that anyone had to feel any time pressure.  It was something we simply wanted to do and share with each other.
 We write notes to each other, draw, stamp, cut and glue (lots of cut and glue!) and sometimes are serious and other times very silly.  It is us together again, just in a book.




My sketchbooks are an outlet and have become like a diary or journal in a way.  I look back on them and see what I was into at the time, how my art skills have changed and 
evolved and remember things I had since forgotten
A collection of past sketchbooks



So Go For It!  Have fun with it!  You'll be amazed at how much fun you'll have!

2 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration!!!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I LOVE it!!!!! I've thought about you and your friend and that journal. I always wondered how it was working out for you. It looks delicious!!!!!! Exactly what I design my books for! Yay!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete